[pct-l] mileage calculation

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun Apr 1 19:30:40 CDT 2012

Scott has a nifty means for preliminary planning.

What I do is copy the relevant sections from Postholer's PCT databook and
paste into a spreadsheet. Then I add columns for cumulative elevation gain
and elevation adjusted mileage. I add 1 mile for every 1000 feet gain. I
ignore loss although I suppose adjusting downward for days that are mostly
downhill might be useful. This enables me to estimate how far I can get in
a day. Then I look for water sources and camping possibilities and have a
plan for my trip.
     On the trail I adjust as my condition and trail conditions warrant. If
on a day I think I can go further I'll consider available sites and the
rest of the trip. My plan is a guide; not a strict schedule.

I'll send you (or anyone else) a sample on request.

Tortoise

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable
President John F Kennedy,  1962

All content is copyrighted. Reproduction or use elsewhere is is expressly prohibited without the express permission of the author. Use within the PCT-list is permitted.