[pct-l] Oregon Southbound

nosirreeb nosirreeb at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 15:01:07 CDT 2012

You can monitor Oregon snow levels here:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Oregon/oregon.html

At the Annie Springs site (South entrance of Crater Lake NP) in 2011, the snow lasted until the second week of July ... in 2010 until last week of June. This is at 6,000 ft elevation and the trail goes above 7,000 ft both in and south of the park where, presumably, the snow is deeper and lasts longer. The Rim Road drive in the park typically opens to auto traffic in early to mid July. This is to say that the end of June might be dicey even in this area.

A better bet might be to head south from where the PCT crosses Hwy 140 near Fish Lake as the elevations are a little lower.

>I'm planning a 5 week southbound trek across Oregon (border to border)
beginning

>the last week of June.  I'm concerned about snow though in the
Mt. Hood and Mt.

>Jefferson Wilderness area and am thinking I might need to
change my plans a bit.

>An option might be to start near Crater Lake then
walk to California, then come

>back to the Oregon/Washington border and head
south from there.  Does anyone

>have experience with snow issues through
Oregon?