[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 52, Issue 5

David Money Harris harris at g.hmc.edu
Thu Apr 5 12:28:15 CDT 2012

I have been using an iphone 3GS alongside my Garmin 60csx while mapping
trails.  I've never had an issue with getting good GPS reception.  The
quality of the tracks agrees well enough that both are more than
suitable for the maps I make (note that I don't show topo lines, where
an error of a few 10's of feet would cause the track to be way off when
walking along a cliff).

I use iHikeGPS, which works well.  However, the battery life with the
GPS constantly recording is only ~6 hours, making the iphone an
impractical replacement for a hand-held GPS when mapping long trails.

Also, you have to download your topo maps to iHikeGPS in advance if
you'll be outside cell phone coverage.

David