[pct-l] Lost hiker found

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 5 22:08:20 CDT 2012

I have to respond to a comment about starting a fire to attract the attention of a helicopter.
This should be done with extreme care and probably not at all in SoCal.
A lost hunter started a signal fire a few years ago in San Diego. He was successful and was rescued by a helicopter just before nightfall. Unfortunately, the fire got out of control and thousands of homes were burned and fifteen people lost their lives.

As a former helicopter pilot I would say a signal mirror is your best option for getting the attention of aircraft during daytime.

Snap