[pct-l] hiking calories

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:02:13 CDT 2012

Dear Hikes and Bikes

It depend on your body weight. The opinion of newspaper is wrong.

Based on the Dynamic walking model ( Kuo, A.D. 2007 The six
determinants of gait and the inverted pendulum analogy: Human Movement
Science, 26, 617-656.)
The energy consumption is predictable by the simple mathematical
equation as follows:
WR =1/8 f^3 s^4
where WR is work rate, f is normalized step frequency, and s is
normalized step length.
WR is indicated as W/kg in in other pages. So WR is energy consumption
per 1kg body weight. Then the total energy comsuption is estimated by

total_energy = body_weight x WR

if your body_weight is 120 Lb then
total_energy = 120 x WR

If backpack weight is added,
toal energy =( body_weight + backpack_weight ) x WR

if your body_weight is 120 Lb and backpack_weight is 11 Lb then
total energy = (120 + 11) x WR
The ratio is 131 / 120 = 1.092
This means 9 percent increace.

The increace rate is depend on your body_weight , mile hiked is not
related to the percentage, it related to the total energy consumption.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )