[pct-l] Washington in Late June

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 9 09:27:52 CDT 2012

Good morning, Toby,

The advisability of departing NoBo in Washington before July depends upon
your motivation, experience, and appetite for route-finding over snowpack.  In
an average snow year in the Cascades mid-June is hikeable, but progress is
slowed due to:  1) The extra effort necessary for walking, 2) The extra
time necessary to puzzle-through the route-finding challenges  over
residual snowpack – remember there will be many fewer hiker tracks, and
lots of the tracks you do see will from local people who aren’t staying on
the PCT, and 3) Then there’s the lonesome factor:  Not every hiker is
willing to deal with being substantially alone in big country for maybe
days at a time.

Based upon what I see around my area of N. Oregon, the graphic at
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2012/snow1204.gifis
a fair representation.
All that “blue” means the hiker will see lots of “white” on the trail
through July and well into August.

If my calendar wasn’t critical I would wait to depart mid to late July,
then I would allow for probable slow progress when planning food and when
projecting a completion date.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye