[pct-l] storing food on the PCT

gschenk1 at roadrunner.com gschenk1 at roadrunner.com
Tue Apr 10 09:37:16 CDT 2012

---- Alexandra Robinson <xelamme at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Im just curious how people typically store their food when its not in a
> bear canister and for that matter where one puts the canister when it is
> full of food.

When not in the national parks, I just sleep with the food bag, or hang it from a rock where it would be out of the reach of critters. When using the canister, just place it a ways from the tent and in a spot where it won't roll downhill if possible.

My experience is that even in high traffic areas where bears are looking for hiker food, they walk past the canister. They know they can't get in it and there are enough people who think they're smarter than the average bear that the bear will score some food.

Of course, that's a dead bear eventually.

HTH
Gary