[pct-l] storing food

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 17:13:21 CDT 2012

I've never hung food. When not in a bear canister area, I store my food bag in my trash compacter bag which is then stored inside my back pack, which I also cinch down. Never had a problem, since all my food is also stored in zip locks inside my food bag. This has worked all thru the JMT and everywhere else EXCEPT Washington abd Hawaii.

Both times food was in a plastic food bag left inside our tent but outside our backpacks. Mice will chew a hole thru your tent to get access to any plastic bag full of food. Minimize food smells at ALL campsites and you'll be fine. Believe me you won't be awake during the night to chase them off.

And if really worried about animal activity during the night, don't eat where you camp.