[pct-l] Fwd: Saddle junction to black mountain road

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Apr 11 13:03:05 CDT 2012

Not knowing the nighttime temps down on San Jacinto, this report suggests an
interesting quandary.

We're assuming that it is not cold enough at night (as it will be in the
high sierra when the thrus go through that area) on the mountains of SoCal
to re-freeze the snow pack hard enough to facilitate over-snow walking in
the morning hours, thus the post-holing Franz is speaking of.

For the most part, getting your mileage done in the early hours of every
on-snow day is relatively "easy" because of the consolidated pack (from the
warmth of the day) and the freeze-thaw cycles hardening the surface at
night. This should be the case for hikers from Chicken Spring Lake on to
Tahoe.

If the nights are, indeed, not cold enough in SoCal, then the going will be
utterly exhausting with the wallowing and post-holing. Lots of energy is
expended, muscled tried, joints tested, fluids lost to sweating, and
patience runs thin. Eat and drink a lot! Don't try to cover as many miles
through these conditions as you'd like. Cut your miles in half and double
your food intake. Make sure you take in lots of electrolytes!

To avoid post-holing, we usually travel when the pack is frozen (early
morning) and try to get to dry trail before it softens, say by noon (high
sierra) or so. Otherwise, snow shoes are the only way to stay on top of the
snow and avoid the fatigue and struggle of the wallow-and-post.

Food for thought...

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education