[pct-l] Potential 2013 Hike

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Apr 13 10:02:04 CDT 2012

On 4/12/2012 2:58 PM, Seelig, Christopher wrote:
> I am a looking to hike the full pct sometime in the future, maybe
> next summer. I was wondering what your opinions are on attempting to
> do it from roughly may 10th

That is a little later than most people like to start. A lot will depend
on the weather and the previous winter's snow. Water sources will be
drying up and the temperatures may be a little hot. People do it. If you
are prepared, and the weather cooperates, it could work. You may have an
advantage in some of the southern California mountains, allowing snow to
melt for a week or two longer than most of the herd.

> to august 25th. Would I be able to complete it comfortably, with
> taking some days off?

You aren't giving yourself a very long window to complete the hike. An
average thru hike takes about 150 days. You are giving yourself about
105 days. You will need to average 25 miles per day, compared to most
thru hiker's 20 mile per day average. Take a few days off, and your
average daily mileage will need to go up. It is doable if you are in
great shape.

> If not, what would be an ideal start date to finish on or around the
> 25th of august?

There really isn't one. If we assume an average 150 days to complete the
trail, you would have to start before enough snow melts to get through
the San Jacintos safely. In March late season snow could shut you down
within your first few days on the trail.

I'll echo Mango's advice. Start when you can and enjoy as much of the
trail as you are able to hike before the calendar catches up with you.
Pay close attention to the water report, and you should be fine.