[pct-l] storing food on the PCT

-Mountain Goat- themtgoat at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 11:45:05 CDT 2012

When in the Kings Canyon to Tahoe Area, I used a bear can, because those bears are smart.
Outside of those areas, I kept the food in the pack for the duration of the
thru hike. I strongly advise to take special care in the National parks, as the bears are an issue.
Outside of that, I didn't have a problem for the remaining 2,661 miles.

    Mountain Goat.
PCT 2005

Alexandra Robinson

    Sun Apr  8 17:43:31 CDT 2012

Hi,
Im just curious how people typically store their food when its not in a
bear canister and for that matter where one puts the canister when it is
full of food. I suppose I have always done bear hangs and when in the
desert made a little cache of food and cooking equipment on the ground. I
have never used a bear canister. I just wanted to check on what methods
people have good luck with. I will be traveling with a canister once I
reach Kennedy Meadows. Thanks in advance for the input.