[pct-l] Insoles for road walks?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 13 21:53:47 CDT 2012

Good evening, Chris,

Many years ago I began using orthotic inserts – meaning arch supports.  I
first used custom molded inserts, but later changed to an off-the-shelf
green SuperFeet, full foot-bed model.  As it turned out, they also resolved
some heel distress I was having due to extensive running on pavement.

A feature of both the custom inserts and the SuperFeet is a deep, stiff --
but nicely-rounded -- heel pocket.  The curve of the heel pocket closely
fits the curve of my heel and provides a much improved load distribution
rather than the minimal contact of my curved heel in contact with a
(mostly) flat shoe inner sole.

Most sneakers have insoles with the same heel pocket appearance, but they
are usually made of some kind of marshmallow foam that isn’t sufficiently
strong to accept and distribute the heal-strike load.

For most hiking when my feet are tough that’s all I need, but in the early
season when my feet aren’t yet tough, and/or when I think I’ll have to walk
on hard, unrelenting surfaces I add a pair of plain, thin, flat Spenco
closed-cell foam insoles which help greatly.   Later, when my feet are
tough, I remove the Spencos to save some weight.

Enjoy your planning and your trip,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/