[pct-l] Fw: Fuel shipment questions

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Fri Apr 13 23:21:57 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Powers" <Ken at GottaWalk.com>
To: "Robert Henry" <rrh.henry at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: Fuel shipment questions

Been there, done that. The only way out is to get a shipping box other than
a priority mail box. We got some at Office Max or Office Depot.

By definition "Priority Mail" and "Ground Only" are polar opposites to the
Postal Service. However I have had postmasters tell me use Priority Mail
when they knew the box would only travel by truck to a nearby town.  Another
problem with ground only is the long travel time. I have heard that ORM-D
boxes sometimes get pushed back when the truck if full. I don't think that
is true, but the delivery time seems really long sometimes.

Given your short time before (I assume) flying out, I think you should buy
your fuel in San Diego and ship it from there. Several of the San Diego
trail angels have said they would take hikers to stores like REI. There also
may be fuel at kickoff and I know there will be a mail run from there.

Good Luck. Enjoy your hike!

Ken