[pct-l] Early Hikers

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Sun Apr 15 23:38:54 CDT 2012

It's been wild.

We made it through Friday night in Lake Morena campground.

Some of us stayed in Boulder Oaks campground last night. It was cold, but not dramatic. Everything frozen in the morning.

Today, we wanted to hike a ways and camp around mile 38-39. Nope!  Everything covered in snow or slush.

We pushed on, me and Brrrito thinking maybe Burnt Rancheria campground, but the trail is covered in snow, sleet, mud, or a mixture of any two or all three. It cut our pace a lot.

We weren't very near the campground when the sun went down and decided to push to Mt Laguna and hope for a cabin/room. We cut through the campground and road walked the remainder of the way where someone that we met earlier and have been playing tag with had a cabin and was expecting us!  Awesome!

So we did 16.4 miles today and 5 or 6 miles of it in bad trail conditions. That's a lot for us; we're older. Tonight, I feel even older.

SomeGuy
 Bill Burge
Typoed on my iPhone...