[pct-l] Ice axe/crampons

Prapanna Smith prapanna.smith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:24:34 CDT 2012

I have been hiking the High Sierra for 30 years, and have hiked during high snow years,
low snow years, and all in between.  I have never carried an ice ax or crampons.  In 2005
I did the JMT during a very, very high snow year.  My only real challenge was crossing
Bear Creek.

This is not to say you should or should not carry ax and crampons; it's just my experience.
But bear in mind that we are at about 55% of average snow and water this year, so you
should be fine with a May 10 start date.

Prapanna