[pct-l] Fw: Sierra Solo

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 08:28:35 CDT 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
To: Matt Impey <matthewjimpey at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Sierra Solo

Hello Mat

I think that you are real worrier.  It is safer to be alone on the PCT than driving the same number of days on the roads and freeways.

Snap gave you some good suggestions. Your answer is, definitely, get a SPOT. That will give you and your family and friends peace of mind.

I suggest that you get Halfmile's maps and a GPS. Put his waypoints on the GPS. There is a waypoint every half-mile for the entire length of the PCT. Also, if you don't already know how to read topo maps and use a compass, I suggest that you learn that. With that knowledge and the GPS, you won't get lost. Just, always, watch where you put place your feet. Be cautious, don't be a risk-taker.

Bring basic survival things with you. A WHISTLE and a SIGAL MIRROR are important. I usually stealth camped, whenever possible, alone with my horse well off the trail. I enjoyed the solitude. If you are afraid of getting lost in a woodsy area when doing that bring along some bright surveyors tape to mark your route. Always be sure to pick it all up when you return to the trail.

I rode the PCT, solo, with just one horse, I resupplied myself, and had no problems. We both got to Canada without any kind of injury. I will forward to you a slide show of that journey. Last summer I rode south from Sierra City and got as far as Tuoloume Meadows. There was lots of snow and down trees that are fairly easy to get past for the hikers. Very difficult and time-consuming with a horse. This year I plan to ride north from Horseshoe Meadows to Tuoloume M.

Have a great hike.

MendoRider-Hiker