[pct-l] sprouts and tarps

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 19 20:51:48 CDT 2012

I think tarps kind of depend on your style and what you tolerate.
When I hiked the PCT through mosquito areas, a tarp and a bug net
would not have been sufficient. At the end of a long day of hiking I
just wanted to lay down on my stomach, eat my dinner and read my
book. Then write in my journal. Sometimes I wanted to lay on my back
and rub my feet and legs. Sometimes I wanted to wash my legs with a
bandana. And sometimes as I slept it was so hot I wanted to stick an
arm or foot out or just lay on top of my sleeping bag almost naked
for a while. Being zipped up in my bag with a bug net and mosquitos
clinging to it inches from my nose would have too claustrophobic and
would have driven me completely nuts.