[pct-l] Southbound from Canada into Washington

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Fri Apr 20 13:36:17 CDT 2012

When we hiked the Idaho Centennial Trail we ended at the Canadian Border on
a trail that did not cross into Canada. We had to backtrack to a very remote
dirt road. Guess who was in the first (only?)car along the road that night -
Border Patrol. They had been monitoring border traffic in an area probably
more remote than the PCT crossing. The border patrol agents didn't disclose
what tools they were using (other than a the ATV's on their trailer) and
they didn't say why they were monitoring such a remote place. They did talk
about the increased border security after 9/11 and drug smuggling.

Interestingly these 2 agents had previously been stationed near the southern
terminus of the PCT and the CDT so they were familiar with thru hikers.

My guess is that there is some sort of border monitoring near Manning Park.

Ken