[pct-l] Sierra Solo

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Apr 21 16:22:40 CDT 2012

Hiking solo is great. I did the entire PCT solo and only hiked with
other people for about 6 days total. I was outside of the herd for a
large portion of my hike and often went a whole section without
seeing a single other person.

When you hike alone, you get pretty conservative. I would not do
things that seemed risky to me. I had all kinds of little rituals to
make sure I never lost or left anything behind. The safest thing
about being alone, in my opinion, is that there is no pressure to do
things you might not otherwise choose to do, no matter how tiny and
simple that thing might be.

Also, I would strongly suggest you not look to high technology to be
your main safety net. A whistle and signal mirror are good things to
have on hand, won't break or lose power. Fine if you want to bring a
high-tech thing as well, but often it is the simple things make the
real difference.