[pct-l] Fw: Desert Water Capacity?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 10:08:15 CDT 2012

Maggie,

I think it"s best to err on the side of caution and carry somewhat more water and electrolites than you think you might need. Don't count on the water caches except in an emergency.

Having said that, I have observed, during more than 60 years of hiking, running and playing tennis, that people vary noticeably in how much they sweat during similar physical activity. It depends, to a large extent, on your body build, and, if you are hiking, how much you are carrying, and how fast you are walking. I have always been a skinny guy. I have hiked with people in the past who were sweating profusely while I was not. We were hiking together and going at the same walking speed and carrying similar loads. We are all different. If you are a sweater, be sure that you consume enough salt to replace what you lose while sweating.
Enjoy your PCT hike - leave no trace.
MendoRider-Hiker