[pct-l] Sierra Solo

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 17:21:52 CDT 2012

Well, Diane, while you make some good points, having a SPOT locator - in a genuine emergency, would be what could save your life. I also bring a signal mirror and a very loud whistle - and a space blanket ( It can become a huge mirror). Pushing the SPOT'S "911" button would be a last resort only if all else failed and I was really disparate. Pushing that button would be very easy to do if necessary - even if you had frozen fingers. Doing the other things that you mention would take better coordination than pushing one simple button.

Your best defense, always, is to not be a risk-taker and be sure that you have along with you what you might need to survive an emergency. Hopefully, you, and other hikers, will exercise good judgment on the trail. As you did while on your own PCT hike. I am now nearly finished reading your wonderful book - PIPERS FLIGHT. Where I am now, you are hiking alone and have recently left Sierra City - going north - - - . Your book is one of those that is very hard to put down. More about that later. We met many of the same hikers on the trail in 2008.  I wonder how we missed meeting each other.

MendoRider-Hiker