[pct-l] Sierra Solo

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 08:47:43 CDT 2012

I'm a pokey older solo hiker. Ultra careful. Risk avoider. Open-minded to
change, but hesitant to rely on electronics. So far, I have never had to
discover what I would do if seriously injured.

I'm reading *Angels in the Wilderness* by Amy Racina. On a solo loop hike
in the Sierras in 2003 (partly on the PCT/JMT), she lost the trail down to
Tehipite Valley, fell 60 feet, broke a hip and both legs, survived four
nights and days, dragging her busted up self down a stream drainage to a
trail, got miraculously saved by fellow hikers. Very interesting
descriptions of her thought processes. Strongly recommended reading...I
give it five SPOT markers!

Palomino
Jim Ostdick
San Juan Bautista, CA