[pct-l] what is the best way to carry Heet?

Webmail dcooper dcooper at bigsky.net
Mon Apr 23 10:05:52 CDT 2012

Hi Ernie. After 30 years we finally meet...about time. No, we never met up
in person but Dan in Pie Town and the girls at a ranch (I think it was
around Buffalo Valley) talked about you...and I could be wrong with names
too...lol...been a while.  Roberto and I were know as Cheech and Chong. We
tried catching up with you guys but the closest we got was about a week
apart.  Roberto got hurt just outside Sula MT and we stopped there at Sula
for the winter. The following year we started at Sula and made it just shy
of the Yukon-BC border...it was the most awesome year...you're pretty much
on your own after the Canadian Rockies. The following year I was hurt early
on, spent 7weeks in the hospital but recouped and Roberto and I took off
again the following year and made to just inside AK (made our exit at
Eagle). Roberto stopped there and Kinch took off with me.  We had to flip
flop that year due to snow and ice logistics so we made it to Arctic
Village then flew (thanks to Mark Air) to Shungnak and did the Divide
section from Shungnak to Wales then returned to Shungnak and made it to
Anaktuvak Pass before the weather set in. The last year we did the
remaining section from Anaktuvak to Arctic Village. Life ain't been the
same since. I came back, organized a trek from Istanbul to Ireland along
the old Roman and trade route trails paid in full by Levi-Strauss but could
not find anyone to go with me. So I got drunk and stayed that way for next
4years, sobered up and started a rifle company called Cooper Firearms of
Montana. I retired from Cooper in 2009. There has not been a spring since
1985 that my body and blood runs wild to hit the trail. This year, that
will finally happen. I'm sure things have changed, people, the trail closer
to civie, and for sure technology. When we left Eagle in '84 it was -52F
that first night (march 27)...our packs and sleds we were pulling on skis
weighed a combination of 85lb each. My pack starting out this year will
weigh about 25lb not including any water. Now that is nice!
Nice to finally meet you.
Coop