[pct-l] Desert Water Capacity?

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 19:56:02 CDT 2012

Our experience has been that for a hot desert day, 3 miles per liter is
about how much is used. It is essential to supplement this with some sort
of electrolyte source. Pop Tarts or sweet and salty bars are better than
nothing. REI has NUUM tablets which have worked fairly well for us. We
carry a variety of the electrolyte packets, tablets, etc, and each day have
one 2 liter container with an electrolyte mix. We have a morning break and
afternoon break where we always have a poptart, and if needed, a drink from
the electrolyte loaded water. Of course, if it is really hot, and your
umbrella is not sufficient, stop in a shady spot (or rig one) till things
start cooling down (about 4:30).

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html