[pct-l] Boobytraped Trail in Utah

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon Apr 23 20:34:01 CDT 2012

Neither the CDT nor PCT are affected, but at least on the PCT, this has
happened before - south of Mojave. The target there was the ORVs that were
damaging a man's property. Unfortunately, PCT hikers could also have run
afoul of them.

In 2010 a property owner set booby traps for hikers j ust south of Mojave / Tehachapi, IIRC.  He was mad because his parents had granted / sold an easement for the trail, before he inherited the property.  Shroomer (who seems to pop up in every thread) collected a few of the devices and turned them over to law enforcement, with specific dates and locations.  Apparently this evidence helped them either arrest the guy or at least lean on him enough that he changed his ways.  I think the devices were some kind of nail in a holder / spring just under the dirt's surface.

BTW, I shuttled Balls, Sunshine, and Beacon this morning near Erwin, TN.  They're all well and in good spirits.

Mango