[pct-l] Average Pack Weight on PCT

james rivet airjay66 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:17:19 CDT 2012

I'm curious what the average pack weight is for PCT thru-hikers. Base
weight mostly. I'm not interested in starting weight wars.
I am new to thru hiking.  My base weight is 15 pounds. It has taken me
weeks to get it to this weight.  It's 5 pounds heavier than I like.
Right now I'm too tired to go through it one more time. If I find that this
is too heavy, I'll jettison non-essentials from the trail.
My big three's--shelter, pack and sleeping bag--are respectable (5.2
pounds). 10 pounds of other junk----uuhhgg.
I know weight is a killer and there's a ton of good info out there.  Is
anybody else out there struggling with this amount of weight or does this
seem
about average or above average?
Thanks

J Rviet