[pct-l] Average Pack Weight on PCT

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 17:08:19 CDT 2012

I think I'm one of the few who has never weighed his/her pack, but I can reasonably guess it to be in the 10-12 lb range (1st thru hike might have been 15 lbs).  The thru-hiker mantra is "every once matters," but I disagree.  A few ounces cannot be felt and won't matter, and a few pounds will not mean the difference between a successful hike and a failure.  15 lbs. is not a killer.  5 extra pounds might mean doing 25-30 miles a day instead of 30-35.  I might disagree with myself if you have a bum knee or something.