[pct-l] Antibiotics

roleigh at gmail.com roleigh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 17:16:14 CDT 2012

Some good points here, but I'd like to add something of a personal experience.

My sister and I did a 10 day hike traversing the Sierra late one fall. Once we began we could either go back the way we came or go forward to our end point - there were no side trails providing quicker egress, and the rangers had already left for the season.

My sister always carries the extreme med kit and I am a moderate med kit kind of person. This particular hike she developed a mild eye irritation on day 2. On day 5 she began the course of broad spectrum antibiotic she was carrying as it became clear we were dealing with a serious problem here. We were exactly midpoint in the hike  Her eye was puffy and inflamed and hurting. Within a few days the infection began receding, and she finished the med  course and hightailed it to her doctor when she got back to Seattle. He told her that it was a serious infection inside her eye socket that, had she not reduced the infection rapidly, would likely have caused a permanent loss of vision.

I'm just saying, s__t happens.  Now I carry a broad spectrum antibiotic with me when I'm heading out for a week or more, and I'll have one on my PCT thru hike this summer.

I'm just saying...

Halo

Sent from my iPhone