[pct-l] Average Pack Weight on PCT

Braden Snapp bradensnapp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:44:32 CDT 2012

There are other things to consider regarding weight besides the pack;
namely your body weight and leg strength.  You will lose weight on the
trail, but if you're 20 pounds overweight and can drop 10, awesome.  10
less pounds to haul around on the trail!  And it's free!

As for leg strength - if you work on glutes, hips and hamstrings it will go
a long way to making the pack seem lighter and will diminish strain on the
knees.

If you have these two things well under control then a couple pounds of
pack weight doesn't matter as much...IMHO.

Oh, and also shoe weight.  Light shoes/boots are a big plus.