[pct-l] update: Chips Fire explodes

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Aug 2 14:23:39 CDT 2012

I find it astounding that people build fires while hiking the PCT in any
but extreme emergency cold/wet conditions.  To me this shows a
combination of cluelessness, lack of common sense and selfishness.

Leave no trace hiking sets a high standard.  It's easier and easier to
hike the trail with all the different written and online guides and
proliferation of people offering support.  That doesn't mean principled
hiking gives over to a slacker mentality.

No one is ignorant out there about the potential destructiveness of
fires.  Why not be rational and act on this knowledge?  I just don't get
it...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid, City, SD