[pct-l] pct-l] update: Chips Fire explodes

goslowgofar goslowgofar at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 11:29:18 CDT 2012

 When I hiked from Belden to Old Station in early July, I met some folks at the Williams cabin site who built a fire in the large fire pit there to cook their dinner.  They said they did it whenever they could in order to save stove fuel - since fuel canisters are heavy. They hiked on after eating and I made sure the fire was out before I went to sleep.  I wonder if using a wood fire to save fuel is a common practice by thrus?
Katy
I find it astounding that people build fires while hiking the PCT in any
but extreme emergency cold/wet conditions.  To me this shows a
combination of cluelessness, lack of common sense and selfishness.

Leave no trace hiking sets a high standard.  It's easier and easier to
hike the trail with all the different written and online guides and
proliferation of people offering support.  That doesn't mean principled
hiking gives over to a slacker mentality.

No one is ignorant out there about the potential destructiveness of
fires.  Why not be rational and act on this knowledge?  I just don't get
it...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid, City, SD

GoSlowGoFar