[pct-l] pct-l] update: Chips Fire explodes

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Aug 3 13:13:06 CDT 2012

Good morning, ,

I hiked SoCal in ’07, a very dry year.  I was so concerned about fire that
I changed all my menus to food I could eat without cooking or heating.  I
didn’t even carry a stove or pot.  I had matches in my pack, but the only
time I used fire was inside the shop at Hikertown when I borrowed a Bic to
melt the end of a piece of nylon cord.  That was it.

Conversely, I talked to one thru-hiker who bragged that he, and his posse,
had built a campfire every night on the entire trip, border to border.

In 2010, when I was hiking north from Belden, I stopped at a campsite near
a small tributary to Chips Creek.  The campsite had recently been used, and
the fire in the ring had crept out of confinement and into duff on the
ground surrounding the ring.  Fortunately, it didn’t get far enough to
start a larger fire: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=650508

Then, just a few miles further north near a different little creek, I
encountered another fire ring which had been abandoned with a big layer of
very fresh ashes that showed no sign of having been doused or stirred:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=650507

In both instances water was both close and abundant.

As long as this level of personal irresponsibility continues to be
displayed fires will continue to be a problem, besmirching every hiker.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/