[pct-l] filtering in the Sierras

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:49:42 CDT 2012

Well, I'm heading out tomorrow for Yosemite to begin the JMT. After much
consideration, I'm forgoing my water filter, bringing chemical treatment
instead. When I bought it at REI, the salesperson *really* tried to
convince me that I should be filtering everywhere, including the Sierras.
His primary reason was cryptosporidium, which according to him is
everywhere, even the Sierras. And chemical treatment is only supposed to
kill those if you treat for 4 hours. He cited his previous career as a
biochemist to support his claim. I'm still leaving my filter behind, and I
seriously doubt that the water I do treat is going to get the full 4 hour
treatment.

Part of what makes this all so tough for hikers is the widely disparate
viewpoints we are exposed to from a variety of sources. Eventually,
everyone makes their own decision, and I guess that's what this forum is
for, in part. Just wanted to share that experience.

Judson
Bend, OR