[pct-l] pct-l] update: Chips Fire explodes

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Aug 4 20:46:59 CDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Michiel Duvekot <michiel at duvekot.ca> wrote:
>> What I've heard (at the Belden post office, while watching the flames come eerily close) is that a Mexican drug gang tending after their marijuana crop may be responsible. They were heard when they carried up tools to their fields. The ranger I talked to later wouldn't confirm the story, and would only say it's still under investigation. Some drug lord is probably seriously dismayed about loosing his crop.<<

Unlike some areas in SoCal where the vast majority of the use is by
the numerous Thru Hikers before the pack has thinned, the area of the
Chips fire is  used by lots of local people, hunters, fishermen, State
of Jefferson survivalists, and apparently pot farmers. By the time the
pack gets that far north, the pack is much smaller and more seasoned.

I think it is more likely that the fire was started by non-thru
hikers, even if it is near the PCT.

In any event, time will tell, but I think it is a bit unfair to fly
off the handle accusing a thru hiker of starting it before we really
know.