[pct-l] filtering in the Sierras

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 01:02:21 CDT 2012

I didn't filter anything in the Sierra, and it worked for me, but I'm just one hiker.  I read all the stats about how Sierra water (flowing) was cleaner than San Francisco municipal tap water (known to be very good), and my experience bore that out.  I also met another hiker who, possessed of the same facts, filtered almost everything -- because earlier in his life he became gravely ill from a waterborne parasite in Central America.

He knew that his previous experience was different from the PCT, but he chose to filter anyway because it gave him the peace of mind that he needed in order to fully enjoy his hike.  I didn't filter, and enjoyed my hike.

As for the guy at REI, take his info, respect it, add it to your other info, and make the right decision for you.  I asked a guy at REI in the footwear department about his thoughts on a sock for hiking 2700 miles in a summer.  All he could say was (smugly), "I would not recommend hiking 2700 miles."  The point being, your mileage may vary with any one person's opinion.

Best of luck,
Iron Chef