[pct-l] 2013 Attempt

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Mon Aug 6 08:39:10 CDT 2012

On 8/5/2012 7:15 PM, Benjamin Vogels wrote:
> When is too late to begin a thru attempt? Currently I am looking at
> May 20ish as the earliest I could start.  Would this give me enough
> time to "enjoy" myself without needing to log 30 miles every day
> before the snow flies?

You will need to average close to 25 miles per day, depending on how
often you take zeros.

By late May the heat in the southern California deserts can be
unbearable, and water sources will be drying up. You may want to start
at a point other than the southern terminus. If you are determined to
hike the entire trail, you could come back and hike the southern section
in the fall. Water will still be an issue, but the temperatures will be
a lot cooler.