[pct-l] GoLite umbrella

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Aug 6 19:12:05 CDT 2012

I attached mine with two bits of shock cord elastic that were
tightened with those little cord-lock thingies. These bits of shock
cord were just tied on to my left shoulder strap in two places. For a
third point of contact to keep the whole thing truly stable, I used
the leftover ends of my waist belt and tied them to the little bit of
cord at the handle-end of the umbrella.

I've never been lucky enough to use an umbrella in desert sun (darn
it if every time I go down to hike the desert it rains most of the
time), but in hot sunny places that I've had it I found it to be
fairly nice to get a bit of shade and get the sun off my head.

The underbrush in Washington did make it tough to use and I didn't
stay very dry with it in rain there at all. Recently I did a hike in
the Winds and didn't bring my umbrella. Instead I used Frog Togs.
Seemed to work okay but I kinda missed the umbrella.