[pct-l] New source for mailing fuel canisters

Maxine Weyant weyantm at msn.com
Wed Aug 8 13:10:32 CDT 2012

It seems like every year it gets harder to find a company that will ship fuel even via ground transport.  They've either all stopped shipping fuel or they charge over $20 in shipping costs just for a 4oz canister.

I just found a new source on Amazon.com.  It's actually shipped from a company called "Stealth Rabbit" and it was something like $3-4.  for a 4oz can of fuel and a few dollars more for the shipping, about the same as what it costs off the shelf in tourist town stores.  You can order more than one canister but they can't ship a can larger than the 4oz size, by law.  Even though it's ground shipping, it was sent out within 2 days and arrived a few days later.

The fuel they send is Bruntane made by Brunton.  I've used it in the Sierras and it seemed to work just as well as MSR IsoPro, maybe better.  I don't know if this is an endless source or if they bought a huge batch and will stop shipping it once they run out.  Beware that they might not ship via a carrier that goes to all of the places on the trail.  I think they used FedEx Ground but you could see if they'd use a different carrier if necessary.

Dys-feng shui-nal