[pct-l] Recruiting New Water Cachers!

Hootie Martin hootie2006 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:46:18 CDT 2012

 Gary,

This is a fantastic idea.  While the 3rd Gate water cache gorillas have
done an admirable job over the years bringing water up to 3rd Gate, your
idea of moving the large cache to Scissors Crossing makes a heck of  a lot
of sense as it would be much easier to maintain the cache given the volume
of water that is provided.  I would suggest, however, that rather than
staging it at SC and suggest to thru-hikers that they transport 1-2 gallons
up to 3rd gate to support a cache at the remote location, that they simply
carry what they need from the SC location that you have recommened to get
them to Barrel Springs.

Sure, its a 23 mile waterless section, but there will be other sections
along the trail that they will need to be prepared to do the same thing and
thru-hikers should be able to determine early on how the are going to be at
least somewhat self sufficient in making it through a 20 mile waterless
section.

I know that I probably do not fall in the majority, but the number of water
caches has multiplied over the years by a large margin and this has really
driven the idea of being self sufficient way down.  Many folks on the list
suggest that thru-hikers do not become reliant on these water caches, but
frankly, based on the journals that I continue to read, many of today's
hikers fully depend and in fact plan to hike from cache to cache.

Elevator