[pct-l] Recruiting New Water Cachers!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Aug 11 12:37:35 CDT 2012

This year was particularly high volume because it was a low snow year
and not too much of a dry year in So Cal. Perfect year to do it if
desert and snow hiking concerns you. I predict that a nice drought
year or a high Sierra snow year will scare off hikers in future years.

As for your question do hikers even get lonely? You can have a lonely
hike if you want. I certainly did. All you have to do is hike your
own hike.

One way to hike your own hike is to go SOBO. Another way is to start
in the middle and hike north, then return and hike south. Another way
is to hike large sections rather than do a thru-hike. A thru-hike is
nice but it's not the only way to experience long-distance hiking.
Yet another way to do it is to hike in the midst of the herd but
refuse to join forces with anybody. This is really easy to do. I did
it. And yet another way that probably nobody will do is you can take
alternate routes and truly design your own hike. In other words,
don't fall for the "all or nothing" idea of what hiking the PCT
means. Anybody who wants solitude can find it.

Personally, I think I got the whole solitude thing out of my system.
This summer I traveled to Wyoming to join some CDT thru-hikers so I
wouldn't have to hike alone. I had such a wonderful time finally not
hiking by myself. The stories they told me of their thru-hike so far
sounded like the olden days of the PCT. The CDT will certainly keep
away the hoards for a long time to come.