[pct-l] Third gate Water Caches

Greg Hummel bighummel at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 15:04:42 CDT 2012

Brick writes;

Is there no longer disgusting water in the creek at Scissors Crossing
like there was when I filled my bottles there in '95?

If there is, why does anyone a cache?

Tough it out, just like we did.

Hell, we had to walk 5 miles to school in the blinding snow, uphill,
both ways! I can't imagine what hardships Strider an the Kelty kids
had to endure back in the 70s. Those were real men.

"Were real men"? I still consider myself a real man... I've written here before about my experience coming across the Vulcan Hills (to the west of Scissors and San Felipe Hills). 95 degree heat and running out of water about mid day. Late in the afternoon, we came across a muddy cow pond, with cow pies floating in it and had no other choices. We strained the water thru a bandana, boiled it and strained the foam out thru the bandana again, then treated it with iodine. We used it to cook dinner with that night and carried the left over with us in the morning. It looked like watered-down chocolate milk and didn't make us sick, but tasted bad!

A few days later we hit the deep snow in the San Jacintos; 45 feet deep (!) and we had to dig tunnels all the way to . . . well, that's a story for another time...

Greg Hummel

"I'm afraid of nothing and scared of everything"- GNH