[pct-l] Tahoe Rim Trail vs JMT

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Aug 15 14:04:25 CDT 2012

As we've said before, the TRT is an excellent trail to train on for hiking
the JMT or PCT for the following reasons:

- it is close to civilization for frequent town access,
- is between two trans-continental, major highways (50 & 80),
- has an international airport nearby (Reno, NV),
- it is high enough in altitude to experience typical "mountain conditions"
of trail, creeks, weather, animals, people and exposure,
- there are frequent enough road crossing to facilitate resupplies or
bail-outs,
- the route is enough of a mix of trail and roads to teach PCT-realistic
navigation,
- the climbs and descents are sufficiently challenging,
- although the creek crossings aren't as wide or difficult as in the higher
sierra, in early season they are good enough for training,
- and it holds adequate snow to learn snow skills on-trail in the spring.

For more info, go to

- www.tahoerimtrail.org

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education