[pct-l] Sleeping bag advice

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Aug 20 20:10:04 CDT 2012

I have NO idea what it feels like to have 0% body fat, so my opinion
might be worthless.

Anyway, one way to make a sleeping bag feel warmer is to unzip it all
the way and drape it over you like a blanket with your feet in the
foot box. Just sleep directly on your foam pad. That way you create
extra piles of fluff around and over you.

Make sure you wear a warm hat. I like to have either a fleece
balaclava type thing that covers my ears and neck, or else I wear my
Ray Jardine bomber hat or sometimes I'll even do both.

Make sure you fluff up the bag before you use it. Hold it by the
zipper and shake it so the feathers move to the top. Let it sit for a
while to expand a little more before you sleep in it. Try not to
stuff it in a stuff sack or lay on top of it before you use it.

If you have a light down jacket, you can drape this over your core or
hips like an extra blanket inside your sleeping bag. I do that all
the time and it really helps.

If you are still cold, my big cheat for super cold winter nights is
to bring a Jacks R Better 45 degree wearable down quilt. Yeah, that's
right, TWO sleeping bags! I can wear it sitting around a campfire and
I can also drape it cross-wise over my sleeping bag so that there are
absolutely no drafts at all, plus it provides an extra large pile of
down on top of me. I can sleep as warm as at home on a winter
backpack with this thing and it weighs as much as a jacket, which I
can leave at home.