[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] Early Season High Sierra travel

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Aug 22 19:35:52 CDT 2012

How early can you hike the JMT? Why, I believe, it has been done as “early” as April (me), but I’m sure our friend, Mr. Dittli, will be able to add some earlier dates from those who have skied or snow-shoed it!

Both Frank and Joe have truly nailed it, however. If you head up to do it “early” in the spring (when is this? Probably anytime immediately after the big storms stop dumping snow in the sierra, but for now let’s just say “early” is any time there is still scary snow on the trail), either go really early and cross the creeks on snow bridges while they are still strong and thick, go when the PCT thrus do, or wait till the whole mess is gone and deal with lots of people, mosquitoes, and low creeks.

Many ask us (as instructors of wilderness skills and Search and Rescue Members) when we personally prefer to head into the high sierra and I’ll have to admit that we prefer the quiet and solitude of winter and early spring to the heat, dirt, bugs, bears, rangers, and crowds of summer. Snow is a delight, but not to be trifled with, ignored, pre-supposed, or mastered. Cold and wet conditions, whether with regard to the weather or just on your person, will quickly ruin your day and maybe your life. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and plan to act quickly when you sense something amiss and you’ll live long to see more days in the hills.

Learn about snow. Practice the skills of mountain lore. Quicken your ears to the sounds of trouble. Watch. Notice when things around you are not quite right. Discover the smell of a storm. Most of all, learn to be quiet, especially the voice within, in order to hear what the mountains have to share. After all, isn’t that why you’re really there to begin with? Once you’ve gained the skills and wisdom of the mountain man, there’s no time too “early” to enter in, only situations and conditions worth avoiding.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org