[pct-l] PCT sleeping system

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Mon Aug 27 13:10:15 CDT 2012

Hello Patrick,

A sleeping system varies about as much as anything else. You will see
hikers with shelters from your local big-box-store - you will see
hikers with shelters from Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, Mountain
Laural Designs, ZPacks, etc - you will see hikers with a tarp and
bivy, and you will might see some hikers with a tarp and a
groundsheet. Each of them are based on the experience of the
individual hikers and/or how much potential abuse they are willing to
endure.

I have put together a list of the lightest weight fully enclosed
shelters presently on the market. It might make you aware that it is
possible to go hiking with a fully enclosed shelter without it adding
up to 4 or 5 pounds. In fact, every setup is 20-ounces or lighter
within this comparison.

http://hikelighter.com/2011/12/29/sulxul-enclosed-shelter-comparisons/

My preferred shelter is 484.78 grams / (17.10 ounces 1.068 pounds) for
the total weight of the shelter, and from it I have full weather and
bug protection.

The lightest shelter I have ever used was 161.22 grams (5.686 oz /
0.355 pounds) TSW, but it is not something I think I would consider
taking on a full length PCT hike.

If you really do want to go the route of a bivy than perhaps go with
the MLD SuperlightBivy + SMD Gatewood Cape + GG Polycryo Ground Cloth
setup.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/raingear/GatewoodCape.html
http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelter-accessories/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html

 (grab some "L-stakes" while you are at it from SMD, a bit heavier
than most, but very good hold ability)

All of these items will add up to around 20.9 ounces and run you about
$350 bucks after shipping.

I would encourage you to read these two articles/posts before you
decide to use a bivy on a 2,663 mile hike:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/for-what-its-worth/103-a-few-thoughts-on-bivies.html
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51359&skip_to_post=491831#491831

As to the issue of a backpack... ULA is without a doubt the most
popular backpack on the PCT, and has been for a very long time. They
are a mid-weight backpack that provides exceptional comfort and
features and durability. The "Omh" and "Circuit" and "Catalyst" are by
far the ones you want to look at. The Circuit and Catalyst being the
two most popular ones - with the Catalyst being the most popular
because of hikers using bulky gear.

You failed to state what your average base pack weight is for when you
hike, so in further disclosure, if you cannot find a ULA small enough
(cubic inches) for you, which would be highly unlikely, and even the
Ohm is to big for your needs, the Gossamer Gear Murmur Hyperlight is
going to continue to prove itself as a very popular backpack in the
2000-2800 cu range for many years to come. If you need smaller than
that, the ZPacks Zero can provide you sub 2000 cubic inch packs.

Suffice to say, start buying gear *now* and finding out what you like
and do not like. Do not end up like so many others who in their first
week on the trail end up having to replace 90% of their gear because
they failed to do their homework before hitting the trail. It costs
you more in the long run and makes your first week feel like hell week
and cause major discouragement.

-Abela
HikeLighter.Com