[pct-l] PCT Sawyer Squeeze Feedback

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 09:24:29 CDT 2012

I've used the Sawyer Squeeze filter for over 3000 miles this year.  The
filter itself is great, but the bags fail.  The package comes with 3 bags:
1/2 liter, one liter, and two liter.  Starting on the Appalachian Trail,
those bags lasted about 600 miles (a little over 1.5 months) before the
seams burst.  I called Sawyer to get the bags replaced.  The rep told me
"you squeezed too hard."  Hmmm.  It's a SQUEEZE filter.

They wouldn't replace the bags for free, but they did sell me a set of
three 2-liter bags for $15, including shipping.  I squeezed more gently
with those bags, and they lasted 1400 more miles (2 more months) before all
3 eventually failed.  I picked up Aqua Mira for the rest of the AT.

I went home for a week, then started the CDT southbound with a new set of
three 2-liter bags.  That set lasted 900 miles (filtering for two people)
before they all eventually failed.  I had purchased that set from REI
(Return Everything, Inc.), so I was able to exchange those bags for new
bags for free.  I just picked up the new bags last week.

If the bags were more durable, it would be a great filter system.  FYI, the
set comes with a syringe to use to backwash (clean) the filter.  I backwash
it at every town stop.  Also, the filter fits onto a 2-liter coke bottle,
and on a platypus bladder.

I'll continue to use the filter, just being careful to replace the bags
every 700-ish miles.

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com