[pct-l] Food protection

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Aug 29 14:11:39 CDT 2012

Good afternoon, Zen Speed,

A bear ‘can will not be necessary in Washington or Oregon; indeed, the ‘can
is only required – legally and functionally – in the big California Natl.
Parks. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265401  Elsewhere I keep
my food in SylNylon sacks, in my pack, next to the head of my bed.

In the north bears are hunted and they have learned by evolution that
individuals who stick their nose in homo sapiens’s business are likely to
be plucked from the gene pool.  Occasionally the ‘can would be handy to
keep a pesky mouse honest, but I won’t suffer the extra weight just for
that small advantage.

Enjoy your hike,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye