[pct-l] Bleach as Water Treatment

Matt Parker zerosignal74 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 12:52:11 CDT 2012

Hello All,

There has been a lot of talk about Water Treatment lately on this email
list. I currently use Aqua Mira as a chemical treatment which works great.
It's light and easy to use. The only drawback is that it is expensive
especially when using it for a 4-5 month thru hike. I have seen a lot of
hikers on the PCT using bleach as a water treatment which was new to me but
that appears to be the easiest, lightest, and cheapest way to go. Does
anyone on this list use bleach to treat their water and if so can you
provide some general guidelines on how to use it (number of drops per liter,
type of bleach, etc.)?

Thanks,

Drake