[pct-l] "Unquestionably the most comfortable UL backpacks"

Dan Engleman danengleman at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 14:21:10 CDT 2012

I used both the ULA Circuit and Catalyst on my thru hike in 2012; both are good packs; I ended up buying a Catalyst for the Sierras because a bear can does not fit inside the Circuit (horizontally) and and I prefer having my bear can on the inside of my backpack.

Not sure if I am unique in that both packs rubbed my hips raw and I fixed that by adding a panel of a thermarest Z-pad to the inside of my hipbelt to give me a bit more cushion (worked well) ...

I have since taken some of the "innards" out of the pack and carved a couple inches off the bottom portion.  I added a Gossamer Gear hip belt and find it to be really great.  My pack is lighter and I no longer need the Z-pad for extra cushion.

Dan (7-11)