[pct-l] hike cost

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Fri Aug 31 18:20:42 CDT 2012

I am a long section hiker rather than a thru hiker, but if I was going to thru hike I would probably use the same gear.  I am also retired with a modest amount of disposable income and have been working on my gear for many years.  That being said, I would guess that I carry between 2000 and 3000 dollars worth of stuff when I am out. Some of it, phone and camera, are not technically backpacking gear, but most of it very much is.  Hammock, underquilt, topquilt, tarp, backpack, SPOT, poles, shoes, down coat, shell, pants, etc.  None of them were cheap.
As a rough guess, I would estimate $10 a day for food, and for me, the cost of having my wife moving along the trail in the car for support.  We have a Prius and she spent a lot of time in campgrounds, but there was still a considerable expense there, although one that most thru hikers would not have.
All-in-all, hiking the PCT is a fairly expensive operation for me.

Ed Jarrett (Eeyore)http://aclayjar.blogspot.com/